Wine Festival 2019 – Everything You Need to Know about Sydney’s Ultimate Wine Festival
Wine Island is back for its 5th birthday in 2019, and this year is set to be the event’s biggest and best one yet!
Here’s everything you need to know about Sydney’s most popular wine festival…
What is Wine Island?
Wine Island is an annual 3-day event dedicated to all-things wine. With more than 60 wine regions across the country, Australia is undoubtedly one of the world’s best producers of wine, and to celebrate, an awesome festival is held on an entire island in Sydney Harbour.
It’s incredibly popular with locals and tourists alike and is simply a must-visit event for anyone who enjoys a glass of wine. Those attending can expect to enjoy a weekend of sampling beverages, getting hands-on with the many masterclasses and tucking into delicious food – the entire island is transformed into a wine lover’s paradise!
Where is Wine Island?
Wine Island takes place on Clark Island in Sydney Harbour, a national park which can be accessed by a 30-minute boat ride from the Man O War Steps outside the Opera House.
When is Wine Island?
Wine Island 2019 takes place from Friday 1st to Sunday 3rd November.
It’s a session-based event that runs daily:
- Lunchtime Session – 10am – 2pm
- Sunset Session – 4pm – 8pm
What To Do At Wine Island
Once ashore, you’ll be among a diverse list of winemakers and stall holders. This year’s beverage line-up is the largest to date with plenty of well known, and some less well known, brands from Australia and all over the globe pouring their signature tipple for you to taste. You’ll also have the opportunity to purchase a bottle or two should you find a drink you’d like to take home and enjoy!
However, there’s much more to the event than just sampling the variety of premium wines. Some of the other activities you can enjoy include:
- Visiting the Matso’s Island Oasis to clench your first with island cocktails.
- Participating in island games and treasure hunts.
- If you’d like to take a quick break, then head over to the Napoleon Perdis Beauty Bar for a pampering session. Here they’ll be offering all sorts of services such as makeovers, micro massages and more.
- You’re spoilt for choice when it comes to the food on offer. From juicy burgers to loaded fries, pitas, cheese and charcuterie platters, seafood and gelato, there’s so many food vendors to choose from, perfect for when you start to feel a bit peckish!
- You’ll also be able to learn a whole host of skills if you decide to attend any of the Wine Selectors’ or Manly Spirits’ masterclasses. Some classes are complimentary and operate on a first come first served basis, whereas others come at an additional cost.
- Don’t forget to bring your dancing shoes to boogie to the island soundtrack!
- There’s so much to do throughout the weekend – this is an island you actually want to be stranded on!
Wine Island Tickets
Tickets can be purchased from Wine Island’s website. It is an 18+ fully licensed event.
Only a limited number of tickets are available as the island’s capacity is strictly capped so we recommend booking as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. There are 3 tiers of tickets available to buy, ranging from $109 pp to $299 pp (plus booking fees). The event has been hugely popular in recent years so is anticipated to sell out, but any tickets not sold in advance will be available to purchase on the day from the Man O War Steps wharf.
It’s also worth noting that Wine Island is a ‘cashless’ event. Your tickets will be sent to you as a wristband 2 – 4 weeks prior to the event, and all purchases you make while on the island will be made through your wristband. You will be able to purchase currency before and at the event (more information will be included in your wristband pack.)
Wine Island Transfers
If you’re looking for the ultimate way to get to and from the island, then look no further than Karisma Cruises. Our stunning, multi-level catamaran provides a luxury transfer experience for up to 50 guests with an array of pre-drinks and platters for you to enjoy.
Get in touch today to find out more or request a quote.
Tips for Getting the Most out of your Experience
- Check the forecast and pack accordingly – although there is some shelter, we recommend taking an umbrella/raincoat or sunscreen/hat (depending on the weather!)
- If you’re wanting to attend any of the masterclasses, aim to get to the venue 20 minutes or so before it’s due to start. They’re first come first served so getting there early will ensure you’re near the front of the line.
- Event organisers encourage tropical attire to get into the spirit with the best dressed rewarded with a prize!
- Take your camera – not only for the 360° views of the city from the island, but also for the amazing views you’ll get of the Opera House and Harbour Bridge as you travel across the harbour.
Harbour Cruises with Karisma
Here at Karisma Cruises, we’re passionate about creating lasting memories for our guests. Our beautiful cruise boat can be hired out for all sorts of exclusive events and occasions including engagement parties, birthday celebrations and team building days.
If you’re attending Wine Island and want to make the most out of your weekend, then contact us today to find out about our transfer packages.
See more: Anzac Day – The Best Ways to Celebrate Anzac Day